Leanne, Ryland, Kaitlin, Jeff & Maryn

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I am done with radiation!


Yesterday was my 28th radiation treatment, and I am now finished. The Radiation Oncologist decided that I didn't need the extra five day boost along the scar because I had clear margins after the mastectomy! I ended up with a pretty nasty radiation burn, as you can see in the picture to the left. The area underneath my armpit opened up about a week ago, and I have been putting a dressing over the top of it that is used on burn victims, called FlexiGel. The Radiation Oncologist says that my skin will turn around over the next 5-7 days, and start healing a bit better. Now that I have finished with the radiation, I should start getting more energy back and the tenderness should start to go away over the next 2-3 weeks.

It is so nice to have that chapter of my cancer fight behind me! I sat down with my Oncologist yesterday to discuss the next step with treatment. I will be put on either Tamoxafin (pre-menopausal) or Aromatase Inhibitors (post-menopausal) for five years. Right now, my hormone levels are still very low from the Taxol, so I am technically in menopause. We went over the side effects of each drug, and based on those, I have decided to have my ovaries removed. The possible side effects of Tamoxafin include Uterine Cancer, and after 15 months of having cancer rule my life, I'd like to choose an option that doesn't involve cancer. For the Aromatase Inhibitors, the side effects include mild joint discomfort and bone density loss. I will be in menopause, so all of those symptoms will remain with me as well. After our appointment, I spoke with my OB/Gyn and he was able to schedule an oophorectomy for me this coming Sunday. It will be done laparoscopically and is an out-patient procedure, so I should be home late Sunday morning if all goes as scheduled.

I went back to work when I started radiation, so as you can imagine, life has been pretty busy for us. We have gotten into a routine of dropping the kids off at daycare, working, picking them up, going to radiation, making dinner, doing nighttime baths, putting the kids to bed, and finally getting ourselves into bed. It seems there is not a lot of time for ourselves these days. BUT, we are enjoying it, and I am so happy that I have been able to return to a somewhat normal life after the chemo as well. As always, my office has been completely supportive of my work schedule, allowing me tons of flexibility if I feel tired and can't make it in. I am so fortunate!

The kids are doing very well...getting big. Maryn is practicing being two, and has transitioned into a toddler bed. Ryland is about ready to crawl, and currently does 360's on the floor and commando crawls with his arms. Jeff's parents were in town to visit last week, and the kids just adored them! We are looking forward to having them back for Christmas, as well as having Kaitlin, Jeff's brother and his daughter in town. I have started Christmas shopping a little bit, but I have a feeling I won't be done yet by the time Christmas gets here. =)

Happy Holidays! We hope this post finds you happy and healthy!
Leanne, Jeff, Maryn & Ryland

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always I am so proud of you for your fight. You're such a little spit-fire!

Hugs from far-far away!

Becca and Jason said...

I check on your blog every day or two, just to see if there are any updates. This was a happy one to see today! Thinking of you up here in Kodiak!!
Becca

Anonymous said...

God has sent you the most precious gift from above--HOPE!! I cried with joy after reading this last affirmation of happiness and joy in your writing!Even though we have not 'physicaly' met - I feel you have become an intregal part of my daughter- Jenn Dudley's life and thank God for the friendship and bond you two have together. May this Holiday Season be the best for all the family!! Hugs and Kisses to your precious children!!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you for your fight throughout this battle! You showed cancer and all of us what you truly are made of! I wish you and your family and wonderful holiday season- you certainly deserve the most joyous of seasons! Keep the faith and the hope!